OceanSide church of Christ
|Previous||Return to Acts||Next|
Divide and Conquer
Larry J. Paulk
TITLE OF SECTION:
Divide and Conquer
It’s not Fair
Discrimination Intended or Oversight
OUTLINE OF SECTION:
Problem Publicized 1-2
Proposed Resolution 3-4
Problem Solved 5-7
APPLICATIONS TO CHURCH GROWTH:
1. Satan realizes if inward peace of the church is destroyed church will become very weak. Here is another attack from within.
2. Murmuring (low tones, debate secretly) WORD GOT TO APOSTLES HOW ? Need to take problems of the church to the elders who are responsible to resolve issues!! How do you stop a murmuring –don’t give the murmurer a listener.
3. “Mind will take you anywhere you want to go” Perceive discrimination then to you it is true. You choose seven men of honest report. It takes a man of unquestioned honesty to handle the finances of the church,
4. With growth come problems and opportunities: people are different because of background, experiences, culture (Grecians Jews against Hebrews (not gentile vs Jew) Gentiles added in Acts 10 only gentiles were proselytes Jews.
5. Priority of needs serving of tables vs saving souls by preaching the word of God. Food for Grecian widows not important? NO In the organization of first century church there were elders and deacons ! Tim :3 SOME HAVE FALSE IDEA THAT THE ELDERS ARE OVER THE SPIRITUAL MATTERS DEACONS OVER PHYSICAL/MATERIAL Elders are over all the work of the church BUT are not to do all the work they must see that the work is done in harmony with the scripture.
6. Notice verse 4 “we will give ourselves continually to prayer. If the apostles chosen by our Lord felt the need to pray, what does that say about the prayer life of Christians ?
7. In today’s world of “political correctness” we probably would have heard (3 Palestinians Jews 3 Grecian Jews then let the six choose a seventh) Why seven ? (Possibly one overseer each day of week)
8. Apostles developed the plan and the criteria for selection (not any man, every man, or nearest relative); they involved the multitude in the plan. Leadership must make decisions in the best interest of the group. “No leadership without followship”
I Peter 5:2-3 “Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, NOT BY CONSTRAINT, NEITHER AS BEING LORDS OVER GOD’S HERITAGE…….”
9. (vs 5) Happy church is a busy church (I Tim. 5:13 warns “ and besides they learn to be idle wandering about from house to house and not only idle but also gossips and busybodies saying things which they aught not.”
II Thess. 3:10-11 “For even when we were with you we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat. For we hear that there are some who walk among you in a disorderly manner, not working at all but are busy bodies.