OceanSide church of Christ
|Previous||Return to Hebrews||Next|
FIRST WARNING: LISTEN UP!
Victor M. Eskew
I. THE EXPECTATION (Heb. 2:1)
II. THE EXAMPLE (Heb. 2:2)
III. THE EXECUTTION (Heb. 2:3-4)
A. The Question (Heb. 2:3a)
B. Three parts of the great salvation (Heb. 2:3b-4)
…which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him; God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers mir-acles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will.
1. First spoken by the Lord
a. It was introduced and consummated by Christ our Lord
b. Some do not believe that any of the gospel was revealed until Pentecost Day. This verse teaches that the “great salvation” was spoken “first” by the Lord.
2. Confirmed unto us by them that heard him
a. Confirmed (950)
1) Strong: to stabilitate
2) Thayer: make firm, establish, confirm, make sure
1) The apostles and prophets were guided by the Holy Spirit into all truth (John 16:13).
2) The Word was proven to be exactly what is claimed to be, the Word of God.
3) “Hence, there is authoritative validity imparted, the significance of this being the surety and reliability of those things which Jesus spake” (Wacater, 63).
3. God also bearing witness
a. Witness (4901)
1) Strong: to testify further, jointly unite in adding evidence
2) Thayer: attest together with
3) While the inspired men were preaching, God was acting so as to bear witness to the truth of what they were saying (Mark 16:20).
And they went forth, and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them, confirming the word with signs following.
b. Types of witnesses:
1) Signs (4592)
a) Strong: an indication
b) Thayer: sign, mark, token
c) A sign was a sign of divine authority given to the one speaking and performing the miracle.
2) Wonders (5059)
a) Strong: prodigy, omen
b) Thayer: portent
c) A wonder was so called due to the impression the miracle made on the audience.
3) Miracles (1411) dunamis
a) Strong: force, specifically miraculous powers
b) Thayer: strength, power, ability, power for performing miracles
c) Those seeing the miracle could not attribute it to human strength, but to superhuman powers, that is, the power of God
4) Gifts of the Holy Ghost (3311)
a) Strong: a separation or distribution
b) Thayer: a division or partition
c) There were nine spiritual gifts. The apostles could perform any of these among their hearers (II Cor. 12:12).
Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds.
d) According to his own will (2308)
a) Strong: determination, option, will
b) Thayer: a willing will
c) The human possessing the powers of the Holy Ghost did not make the determination of which power would be used to confirm the word. The Holy Spirit made that determination (See I Corinthians 12:11).
But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
A. This is a very serious admonition. We must pay attention to what God has said. We must give undue attention to God’s Word.
B. If we are not careful, we can slip away from the teachings of the Word.
C. If we do, we cannot escape the punishment found in the “great salvation” of the New Testament (See Heb. 10:26-31).