OceanSide church of Christ
The videos displayed by YouTube at the conclusion of this clip may not represent Biblical teaching.
OceanSide does not have any control over the videos suggested.
|Previous||Return to Hebrews||Next|
A DIVINE SUPPORT SYSTEM (1)
Victor M. Eskew
A. There are two truths about the Christian’s rest that we must constantly keep in mind.
1. It takes labor for us to enter therein (Heb. 4:11).
2. It is possible for the child of God to come short of that rest (Heb. 4:1).
B. If we were attempting to get into that rest all by ourselves, the task might seem impossible. We, however, do not have to “go it alone.” God has given what I refer to as “A Divine Support System” (Heb. 4:12-16).
1. The Sword of the Spirit (Heb. 4:12)
2. The Sight of His Eyes (Heb. 4:13)
3. The Son as our High Priest (Heb. 4;14-16)
I. THE SWORD OF THE SPIRIT (Heb. 4:12)
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discern-er of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
A. The heart of man is the mind of man. From the heart, all actions flow.
1. Proverbs 4:23
Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
2. Matthew 15:18
But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
B. The battle within the heart of man is between my will and the will of the Lord (Gal. 5:16-17).
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
C. If we will allow it to, the Word of God can keep us in a right relationship with God.
1. It can help us overcome temptation.
2. It can lead us in the paths of righteousness.
3. It can comfort our hearts in times of discouragement.
4. It can warn us when the path is dangerous.
5. It can convict me when I make a wrong step.
D. This Word is not just another book among all the books of men.
1. Word of God 1. Piercing
2. Quick 2. Dividing asunder
3. Powerful 3. Discerner
a. Of God
1) The Word of God has been given by God
2) We refer to it as the inspired Word (II Tim. 3:16-17).
1) Strong (2198): to live
2) Thayer: to live, to be full of vigor…active, powerful, efficacious
3) The Word of God is not a dead letter, an old worn-out document, or an irrelevant historical writing.
1) Strong (1756): From the Greek word “energes,” active, operative
2) Thayer: active
1) Strong (5114): from a word meaning “to cut,” …as if by a single stroke
2) Thayer: sharper
1) Strong (1366): double-edged
2) Thayer: used of a sword so has the meaning of two-edged
1) Strong (1338): to reach through, that is, penetrate
2) Thayer: to go through, penetrate, pierce
3) See Acts 2:37; 7:54
g. Dividing asunder
1) Strong (3311): a separation or distribution
2) Thayer: a division…a separation, so far as to cleave asunder and separate
1) Strong (2924): decision (“critical”), that is, discrimination
2) Thayer: relating to judging, fit for judging, skilled in judging
II. THE SEEING EYES OF GOD (Heb. 4:13)
Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.