OceanSide church of Christ
|Previous||Return to Hebrews||Next|
HUMAN HIGH PRIEST VS HEAVENLY HIGH PRIEST
Victor M. Eskew
A. In Hebrews 5, the inspired penman begins to expand on the subject of Jesus as our High Priest.
B. This, however, is not the first time Jesus has been mentioned as a High Priest.
C. In chapter five, we see the “Human High Priest vs. Heavenly High Priest.”
i. The Human High Priest (Heb. 5:1-4)
ii. The Heavenly High Priest (Heb. 5:5-10)
iii. The Hearing of the Hebrews (Heb. 5:11-14)
I. THE HUMAN HIGH PRIEST (Heb. 5:1-4)
II. THE HEAVENLY HIGH PRIEST (Heb. 5:5-10)
III. THE HEARING OF THE HEBREWS (Heb. 5:11-14)
A. The Circumstances (Heb. 5:11-12)
B. The Contrast (Heb. 5:13-14)
For every one that useth milk is unskillful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
1. Users of milk
a. Diet – milk
b. Demeanor: unskillful in the word of righteousness
1) Strong (552): inexperienced, that is ignorant
2) Thayer: inexperienced in, without experience
c. Developmental stage: babe
1) Strong (3516): literally, one not able to speak, an infant
2) Thayer: an infant, little child
2. Users of strong meat
a. Diet: strong meat
b. Developmental stage: full age
1) Strong (5046): complete (in various applications of labor, growth, mental and moral character)
2) Thayer: that which is perfect, of men, full grown, adult, of full age, mature
1) Effort: reason of use (habit, practice)
2) Effect: senses exercised (perception, judgment, trained, exercised vigorously
3) End: discern between good and evil (judicial estimation, a distinguish-ing)
A. This section of Scripture could be entitled: “Can I Take Your Order Please?”
1. Milk versus Meat
2. Suckers versus Chewers
3. Babes versus Mature
4. Unskillful versus Discerners
B. What one orders from the Word of God will tell you a lot about the individual, especially his/her developmental stage.
C. What would you have to order?