OceanSide church of Christ
|Return to PersonalEvangelism||Next|
PERSONAL EVANGELISM CLASS
Victor M. Eskew
A. This is going to be a 10-week Personal Evangelism Class.
1. Lesson #1: The Mission
2. Lesson #2: The Musts
3. Lesson #3: The Meeting
4. Lesson #4: The Methods (1)
5. Lesson #5: The Methods (2)
6. Lesson #6: The Master (1)
7. Lesson #7: The Master (2)
8. Lesson #8: The Misfortune
9. Lesson #9: The Manner
10. Lesson #10: The Motivators
B. In this lesson, I want us to consider “The Mission” of Saving Souls.
A. What is something you would be willing to tell the entire world about? (It could be something that exists now, or, it could be something that needs to be invented).
B. What does the word “Lord” mean to you in the words Lord Jesus Christ?
C. T – F The gospel sets men free.
D. Y – N I have been involved in a personal Bible study with someone in the past.
E. What keeps you from doing personal evangelism?
_____ Lack of knowledge
_____ Lack of desire
_____ It is not my job
F. T – F I know several people who are lost in sin.
A. Matthew 28:18-20
And Jesus came and spoke unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
B. Luke 14:21-23
So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind. And the servant said, Lord it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room. And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.
C. Acts 8:1, 4
And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judea and Samaria, except the apostles…Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every where preaching the word.
D. I Corinthians 9:16
For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe unto me, if I preach not the gospel.
III. WHY QUESTION
A. Stated: Why do we say that lost souls are important, but we do not seek diligently to save them?
1. Too busy
2. Not enough knowledge
5. Not my job
6. Not convinced of the horrors of hell
7. View church as more about getting for self rather than giving to others
8. Tried and failed
9. Waiting for a feeling to cause us to win souls
10. No motivation to win souls
11. Not proud, but ashamed of the truth
12. Look for easy ways to evangelize, such as giving money
IV. WHAT CAN WE DO?
A. We must become convicted
1. That Jesus Christ is Lord.
2. Of the truth of God’s Word (Prov. 23:23).
B. We need to take a personal evangelism course like “The Fishers of Men.”
C. We need to partner with someone else and commit to one night each week being involved in personal work.
A. Luke 19:10
For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which is lost.
1. “Have you no wish for others to be saved? Then you’re not saved yourself, be sure of that” – Charles Spurgeon.
2. “Don’t wait for a feeling or love to share Christ with a stranger” – John Piper.
3. “In an era of mass media, it is easy to believe that the more eyeballs the more impact. But radio, television, and tracts accounted for a combined total of less than one-half of 1% of the number who are born again” – David Kinnaman
4. “If you don’t love Jesus out loud, then it must not be real love” – Susan Cain.
QUESTIONS FOR CLASS #1
Answers Recorded (25 participants)
1. What is something you would be willing to tell the entire world about? (It could be somethings that exists now, or, it could be something that needs to be invented).
Cure for depression
Difference between class and the real world
Christianity, the church
Marriage being harder to enter
Truth in politics
Gospel of Christ
Evidence of God’s existence
Understanding and accepting all people
A way for the disabled to walk
All to seek God
Underlying sameness of all people
Cure for mental illness
Cure for Reflexive Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)
2. What does the word “Lord” mean to you in the words Lord Jesus Christ?
My God who is above all and over all
Lord – high position
Most high (2)
One who owns me completely
Ruler, position of authority
3. T – F The gospel sets men free.
True (22) False (2)
4. Y – N I have been involved in a personal Bible study with someone in the past.
Yes (18) No (7)
5. What keeps you from doing personal evangelism?
7 Lack of knowledge
1 Lack of desire
0 It is not my job
6. T – F I know several people who are lost in sin.
Yes (25) No (0)