OceanSide church of Christ
|Previous||Return to PersonalEvangelism||Next|
PERSONAL EVANGELISM (2)
Victor M. Eskew
A. To evangelize the entire world, we have everything we need at our disposal.
1. We are the sowers. OceanSide has 50 or 60 people who can sow.
2. We have the seed, the Word of God, which is powerful (Luke 8:11; Heb. 4:15).
3. We have the soil, the hearts of men, into which we can plant the seed (Matt. 13:4-8).
4. We have all kinds of resources at our disposal to teach us the techniques of evangelism: books, tapes, classes (Fishers of Men), and personal evangelism tools (Jule Miller, Open Bible Study, FOM).
5. We have time. Most of us can carve one or two hours out of our week to do a study with someone.
B. We have all these things, yet we are not effective in doing personal evangelism. Why? What are we missing?
C. We are missing the MUSTS in evangelism.
1. These things have nothing to do with externals.
2. These are things that MUST be present internally within the heart of the soul-winner.
I. AN UNDERSTANDING THAT FOREVER MOTIVATES
1. To perceive the meaning of
2. To be thoroughly familiar with
3. To grasp the significance of
B. What must we understand?
1. Humans have souls.
2. Sin separates from God.
3. Lost means eternal condemnation.
4. Grace was extended at Calvary.
5. The gospel contains conditions.
6. Saved man is restored to God.
7. Hope means eternal life.
C. If we truly perceive the significance of the things mentioned, motivation will fill our hearts. We will have a “reason” to act.
II. A LOVE THAT FEELS CONCERN
A. Head knowledge is not always enough to truly light a fire.
1. Head knowledge is like gasoline in a can. It has potential, but it needs to be lit.
2. Emotions can often light the fuel.
B. Love that truly feels concern for another can spark our understanding.
1. The love that we are referring to is agape love, a love that seeks the best interest of another.
2. Concern: an anxious sense of interest in someone
III. A KNOWLEDGE THAT MOVES WITH COURAGE
A. This knowledge is specific knowledge.
1. It is knowledge of man-made doctrines.
2. It is knowledge of how to answer these doctrines.
B. Knowledge makes us confident. Confidence makes us courageous.
1. Knowledge and courage do not guarantee success.
2. People’s hearts are not always easy to convince.
a. They have been vailed with false doctrine.
b. Often they have been hardened by their constant rejection of truth.
IV. A DESIRE COUPLED WITH EAGERNESS
A. Desire and eagerness seem to be closely related, but they can be miles apart.
1. A person may have a desire to jump off a high diving board, but the eagerness may not be there.
2. Most of us have some sense of desire to be soul-winners, but we are not eager to get to the work.
B. Eagerness involves a “can’t wait to get started” attitude. Thus, when opportunity presents itself, it does not stall out. It jumps right in.
V. A COMMITMENT TIED TO PATIENCE
A. Commitment involves a pledge or promise. It involves the idea of binding or obligating ourselves to doing something.
B. Patience is the ability to endure for the long haul.
1. In marriage many make commitments, but they do not last for the long haul.
2. We might commit to one session of door-knocking, lack success, and quit. We might commit to soul-winning, get chewed out by someone, and give up.
C. I am going to do it for as long as it takes no matter what.
1. Which one of these things do you believe is the most important?
2. Which one of these do you need the most?
3. Can you think of another attribute that is needed by soul-winners?
4. T – F You are willing to do what it takes to gain these attributes.
B. NOTE: Nobody can simply give us these things. We have to be willing to develop them within.
C. If we have these things, nothing will stop us from evangelizing others.
QUESTIONS FOR CLASS #2
Answers Recorded (27 participants)
1. Which of the ten “Musts” do you believe is most important?
2. Which one of the ten “Musts” do you need the most?
3. What is another quality needed by soul-winners?
4. Are you willing to do what it takes to gain these attributes?
Yes (25) No (1) No answer (1)