OceanSide church of Christ
The videos displayed by YouTube at the conclusion of this clip may not represent Biblical teaching.
OceanSide does not have any control over the videos suggested.
|Previous||Return to SSS||Next|
the Seed Series
Class 8 Ė Instruments of Music
I. The Short Answer
a. We do not have the authority to use instruments of music in worship
i. We are commanded to sing not play (Eph 5:19, Col 3:16)
b. We have 7 examples of singing in the New Testament
i. We have 0 examples of playing
II. The Old Testament
a. True or False: Some worshiped God with instruments under the Old Law
i. Some examples are 2 Chr† 5:13, Isa 38:20, and 2 Sam 6:5
b. Did God command it?
i. God commanded two trumpets be used for 2 reasons (Num 10:1-10)
1. To call an assembly
2. To initiate their journeys
ii. God also commanded trumpets be used over their sacrifices
1. This was a memorial before man (cf. Ex 17:14)
c. What about David?
i. God controlled Davidís use of instruments (2 Chr 29:25-27)
1. These instruments were ordained by David
2. David made instruments of his own volition to praise God (1 Chr 23:5)
ii. Solomon also commanded instruments to be used based upon David (2 Chr 8:12-14)
iii. Hezekiah used instruments based upon David (2 Chr 29:2)
d. Preference vs Tolerance
i. True or False: God chose Saul to be king (1 Samuel 9:15-16)
1. Was it Godís will for Israel to have a king? No (1 Sam 8:7)
ii. True or False: God chose Solomon to build the temple? (1 Chr 28:2-6)
1. Was it Godís will for a temple to be built? No (2 Sam 7:2)
iii. True or False: God commanded a bill of divorcement be written under the law of Moses (Deut 24:1)
1. Was it Godís will for marriage to end in divorce? No (Matt 19:8)
i. True or False: God commanded instruments be used in worship to Him under the Mosaical Law?
ii. David made the addition of instruments into worship, not God
1. However, God controlled it within boundaries He chose
iii. Today God doesnít allow changes to His commands (Acts 17:30, Rev 22:18, 1 Cor 14:37)