OceanSide church of Christ
|Previous||Return to list of sermons||Next|
A Psalm of Praise
Text: 2Sam. 22:31
Thesis: To Praise God for His ways.
1. David sings a song of praise unto God.
A. 216 verses contain the word “Praise” in the Bible.
B. An overwhelming majority of these, it is used in reference to man praising the God of heaven for some blessing bestowed.
C. More are used in the Psalms than any other.
D. Psalm 18 & 2 Samuel 22 are parallel with one another; we will notice 2 Samuel 22: 31
2. David will list (in this chapter) numerous things he was able to do and accomplish, but would always praise God for providing the way, the word, and the protection.
A. We certainly want to praise God in all that we do and say.
B. Consider how we might be able to praise God in our lives today.
3. Notice that God’s Way is Perfect, God’s Word is Proven, & God will give Protection:
I. GOD’S WAY IS PERFECT – V. 31A “…his way is perfect…”
A. 2 Sam. 22:30-32
1. Psalm 18
a) V. 3 “I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised…”
b) V. 6 – David says he called upon the Lord while he was in distress.
c) V. 21 – “For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God.”
d) V. 22 – “I was also upright before him, and I kept myself from mine iniquity.”
e) V. 24 – “Therefore hath the LORD recompensed me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in his eyesight.”
a. Why? B/c His ways are perfect!
b. Therefore, we follow His ways as did David that we too might be counted as righteous.
2. Matt. 5:48
3. 2 Tim. 3:16-17
4. 2 Peter 1:3
B. Jesus said, “I am the way…” (John 14:6).
1. By following “the perfect law of liberty” and thereby “doing the will of the Father”, we can be righteous (James 1:25; Matt. 7:21).
2. We can then know we are following the right way.
3. God’s Way Is Perfect and we praise God when we follow His perfect Way!
II. GOD’S WORD IS PROVEN – V. 31B “…the word of the LORD is tried…”
1. Gen. 6-9
2. The condition of the world (Gen. 6:5-6).
3. He told Noah to build an ark; gave the dimensions and promised to save him in the ark and he did as he promised.
4. And so God would destroy the world with a flood just as he promised.
5. After the flood-waters subsided, God promised never to destroy the world with a flood again and He has kept his word as promised (Gen. 9:11-13).
B. 300+ Messianic prophecies
1. Gen. 3:15 ~ certain a prophecy fulfilled on the Cross of Calvary.
2. Concerning the birth of Christ
a) A son – Isa. 9:6 / Mark 1:1
b) Born of a Virgin – Isa. 7:14 / Matt. 1:20-23
c) From the house of Judah – Isa. 37:31 / Matt. 1:1-2
d) Born in Bethlehem Ephratah – Micah 5:2 / Matt. 2:1
3. Despised and Rejected of men – Isa. 53:3 / His whole personal ministry
4. His coming kingdom – Isa. 2; Dan 2; Joel 2 / Acts 2
5. And so many more
III. GOD WILL GIVE PROTECTION – V. 31C “…he is a buckler to all them that trust in him.”
A. Buckler = a shield; a defense or means of protection
1. Verse 33 “God is my strength and power: and he maketh my way perfect.”
2. David, when in distressed by his enemies as mentioned in Psalm 18:6, called upon the Lord. The Lord thundered in the heavens (v. 13), sent out his arrows and scattered them (v. 14), & David was delivered when the enemy was too strong for him (v. 17).
a) Verse 17 – 20 “He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them which hated me: for they were too strong for me. They prevented me in the day of my calamity: but the Lord was my stay. He brought me forth also into a large place; he delivered me, because he delighted in me. The Lord rewarded me according to my righteousness; according to the cleanness of my hands hath he recompensed me.
b) No doubt b/c David had been faithful to God, God had taken care of him and protected him through all his trials
c) He will certainly protect and watch for His saints even today.
d) 1Pe 3:8-13
B. 1 Sam. 17 – David faced Goliath, not only the enemy of David and of Israel (nation), but also the enemy of God. Yet, David face the enemy and all the challenges, b/c he knew God was with him.
1. David would also write:
2. Psalm 23:4
C. Paul would say from a Roman prison near the end of life…
1. 2 Tim. 4:16
D. We can put our trust and faith in God that He will care for us as we are about His Father’s work.
1. God is Salvation
A. 2 Sam 22:36
B. What great salvation we enjoy through Christ?!?!
C. We can praise God when we realize God’s Great Salvation.
2. Praise God for His Perfect Way, His Proven Word & His Providential Protection.