OceanSide church of Christ
|Previous||Return to list of sermons||Next|
THE BLESSING OF THE HIGH PRIEST
TEXT: “The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee and be gracious unto thee: The LORD life up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace” (Numbers 6:42-26).
THESIS: To learn of the blessings offered unto the children of God.
A. A general blessing is given.
1. The word “bless” brings the idea of prosperity and well-being.
2. The word “keep” brings idea of guarding or protection.
B. Today, the Lord blesses, as well.
1. These blessings come through Christ (Eph. 1:3).
2. They are available especially to those listed in the beatitudes (Matt. 5:3-10).
C. The Lord is our keeper.
1. “The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand” (Psalm 121:5).
2. “And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus” (Phil. 4:7).
A. This indicates God’s favor and grace upon his children.
1. It means to bestow favor upon those especially those who are not deserving of it.
2. His face shining may also indicate that He is approving of our actions as we serve Him.
B. Today, God’s grace is upon all mankind (Titus 2:11).
1. This grace came about in His Son, Jesus Christ (John 1:17).
2. His grace is offered to the whole of mankind, yet only a few will “find it” (Matt. 7:13-14).
A. Peace is offered to those upon whom the Lord lift His countenance.
1. This seems very similar to the previous verse.
2. It may indicate “taking pleasure in” or “having approval of”.
B. Peace indicates a state of righteousness and well-being.
C. For us today, we have our peace in Jesus Christ (Rom. 5:1).
1. The faithful child of God has made available to him “peace which passeth all understanding (Phil. 4:7).
1. God has promised us great and precious promises (2 Pet. 1:4).
2. Make thy face to shine upon thy servant: save me for thy mercies' sake (Psalm 31:16).
3. Today, our High Priest (Heb. 4:14-16) blesses us much the same way.
4. The “Priestly Benediction” is:
5. We can access these blessings only in Christ Jesus (Eph. 1:3).