OceanSide church of Christ
|Previous||Return to list of sermons||Next|
Are the churches of Christ the ONLY ones?
A.. Imagine this scene: We call all representatives from all religious groups in the world.
1. The job of each religion would be to get Jesus to attend their particular religion.
2. Which one would He choose?
3. Would it really matter to Jesus what one was doing in the name of religion?
B. Picture the meeting: (People would begin to express the reasons why Jesus should attend their worship services.)
1. You will love our building - beautiful, right on the main street.
2. We are the biggest church in town.
3. We have the most entertaining services.
4. Our doctrine is the easiest to follow.
5. We are the friendliest.
6. We are not old fashion - we are hip and alternative (unless you like the older traditional style - we have that too.)
C. There are literally thousands of religious identities today claiming to be the church of the Bible.
1. What can an honest heart do, to make sure the church he/she attends is the right church? The church of the Bible.
2. Which church would Jesus decide to attend and place membership?
D. A question that is often asked to those who are members of the church of Christ is... Do you think you are the ONLY ones right?
1. I often answer that question by stating, “it doesn’t matter what I think; it only matters what the Bible says.”
2. We all should be concerned with what pleases God.
Peter stated, “If any man speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God.” (1 Pet. 4:11)
D. What makes the church of Christ unique among all the religions today?
E. Are the churches of Christ the ONLY ones?
1. Let us investigate this question together and study God’s Word and draw our conclusions only from that which God has stated.
Are the churches of Christ the ONLY ones...
1. Who honor the BIBLE as the Word of God?
A. Of course not. Most all religions (Christian faith) use the Bible as a foundation for their doctrines.
B. Then, what is the problem?
1. The problem is when they become unsatisfied with the Bible and go about to establish their own doctrines.
2. They begin to add, subtract and manipulate the word of God.
3. Jesus warned...But in vain do they worship me... (Mt. 15:9)
C. What does the Bible say?
1. 2 Timothy 3:16 - All Scripture is given by the inspiration...
2. Hebrews 4:12 - The word of God is quick and powerful...
3. Isaiah 40:8 - the grass withereth and the flower fadeth away...
4. Romans 1:16 - For I am not ashamed of the gospel...
5. Romans 10:17 - For then faith cometh by hearing...
D. We must honor the Bible and ONLY the Bible as the Word of God.
2. Who SEPARATE the Old and New Testaments?
A. Again, no the church of Christ is not the only ones who understand the division of the Scriptures. Knowing there is an Old and New Testament.
B. One of the most important pages in the Bible is the blank white page separating the Testaments.
C. What does the Bible say?
D. Why was there a division?
1. There was no salvation under the Old Law.
2. It was a shadow of good things to come - Heb. 10:1
3. Paul stated, The things written afore time...were written for our learning. Rom. 15:4
E. When did this division take place?
1. Jeremiah 31:31 - Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
2. Colossians 2:14 - Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
F. Which Testament am I under today? The NEW!
1. One must be sure to be under the proper testament today and be able to separate God’s word correctly.
3. Who worship WITHOUT mechanical instruments?
A. No! It is interesting that throughout the years many of the religious bodies have discussed, debated, argued and even divided over the use of the instrument in worship to God.
B. There are those today who oppose it - and others who have no problem with the use of it.
C. A great question to ask is... why did we come here today? Was it to be entertained or to worship God?
1. Most individuals who desire to use instruments state... I like it! It helps me sing. I like the way it sounds. It moves me emotionally.
2. No one states, “B/c the Bible says!”
D. What does the Bible say?
1. Ephesians 5:19 - Speaking to yourselves in psalms...
2. Colossians 3:16 - Let the word of Christ dwell in you...
E. May we all be concerned with what the Bible says and not how we feel.
4. Who observe the Lord’s Supper WEEKLY?
A. I am sure there are others.
B. Then again where is the problem?
C. The problem is...most do not. Most take it monthly, quarterly, bi-annually, etc...
D. What does the Bible say?
1. 1 Corinthians 11:23-29 (READ)
2. Acts 20:7 - Upon the first day of the week when the disciples...
E. What an honor to be able to come together and reflect and remember the greatest sacrifice ever given - every Lord’s day!!
5. Who immerse (baptize) for the REMISSION of sins?
A. No! There are religions who teach one needs to be immersed for the remission of sins.
B. But the problem is, most religions teach baptism is not important. It is not necessary - and surely the mode or way one is baptized does not matter.
C. Again, I want to remind us, where is the authority? What does the Bible say?
1. Acts 2:36-47 - Jews on the day of Pentecost
2. Acts 8:36-40 - Eunch
3. Romans 6:3-6 - Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
D. There is water in God’s plan.
1. Every conversion illustrates the individuals being baptized.
2. Peter stated, “baptism does also now save us...” (1 Pet. 3:21)
3. Why? OBEDIENCE!!!
6. Who recognizes Jesus Christ as HEAD?
A. Again, I think most religious people would acknowledge Jesus as being head.
B. The problem is - they may believe this, but they practice man being the head.
C. Most religious groups today have organizations, men, and councils and synods dictating the structure and beliefs of the church.
1. Southern Baptist - vote on women preachers / Episcopalians - voting on homosexual bishop
E. Where is the authority for this - there is none!
F. Listen to the Bible:
1. Col. 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
2. Mt. 1:18-20 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost. (19) Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily. (20) But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
3. Eph. 1:22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
G. The church must be organized as directed by God in His word - each congregation governed by Christ as the head, elders and deacons leading and each congregation remaining autonomous.
7. Who call Bible things by Bible NAMES?
A. Is the name or that which we call things important? Deal with NAME...What’s in a name? What about a family’s name? husband expects wife to take his name.
1. Pastor - bishop, shepherd, overseer, elder – not the same as the preacher or evangelist, his work is different!
2. Reverend - Psalms 111:9 He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name.
3. Father - Mt. 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
4. Denominational names
C. What does the Bible say?
1. Acts 11:26 …And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
2. Romans 16:16 …The churches of Christ salute you.
3. 1 Peter 4:11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God…
D. Let us call Bible things by Bible names!
8. Who practice BENVOLENCE and EVANGELISM?
A. Of course not; there are many today who practice benevolence.
B. Many obviously are practicing some form of evangelism.
C. What Does The Bible Say?
1. Galatians 6:10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.
2. Mark 16:15-16 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. (16) He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
A. Are the churches of Christ the ONLY ones...
1. Who honor the Bible as the word of God? NO!
2. Who separate the Old and New Testament? NO!
3. Who worship without instruments? NO!
4. Who observe the Lord=s supper weekly? NO!
5. Who immerse for the remission of sins? NO!
6. Who recognize Jesus as the head of the church? NO!
7. Who call Bible things by Bible names? NO!
8. Who practice benevolence and evangelism? NO!
B. But...the church of Christ is the ONLY ones who do them ALL!!
C. Now think back to the beginning of our lesson:
1. Jesus has come to town - looking for a place to worship.
2. He always made it His custom to worship - Luke 2:42 And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast.; Luke 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
3. Where would He worship?
D. Does it make any difference?
1. YES!! it makes a difference - Jesus expects us to obey ALL His commands, not just the ones we want.
2. Only the truth can make us free (Jn. 8:32)
3. Only the church that belongs to Christ following His plan will be taken up to glory.
E. When one looks at many of the religions today - yes it is true that they are doing some good, and following some and possibly many of the commands of Christ, but that is when it becomes easier to fool the average person.
F. Let us suppose you were not religious - you really knew nothing about religion - yet you desired to do what was right and become a Christian.
1. You first got a Bible.
2. You then read, studied and meditated upon its pages.
3. You believed what it said about containing the true message of salvation.
G. You then got your phone book and looked under religions or churches and found that there were many choices. How would you choose the right one?
1. Well of course you would find out the doctrine and practice of as many as you are able.
2. You make a list of what you have read in the Bible on various subjects and compare.
3. Then you begin asking what each religious group taught. Just ask questions!
1. Are you apart of this church...the church we just describe from the Scriptures? If not, why not?
2. Obey the Gospel today (2 Thes. 1:7-9.)