OceanSide church of Christ
|Previous||Return to Sermons||Next|
TOP TEN LIST:
Top Ten Qualities of a Soul-Winner
Victor M. Eskew
A. David Letterman popularized what are called the “Top Ten Lists.”
Top Ten Commercial Casket Models
10. The Dirt Master
9. Tupper Tomb
8. Krazy-Kasket by Whammo
7. The Slim Reaper
6. The 19th Hole
5. McCoffin Stryofoam Casket
4. The Comfort-King Velvet Liner
3. Cap’n Crypt
2. The Cardboard Warrior
1. The La-Z-Boy Eterna-Lounger
B. This morning we want to present our Top Ten List. This list, however, is much more serious than those presented by David Letterman. We want to look at the “Top Ten Qualities of A Soul-Winner.”
A. I Corinthians 13:1
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
B. Love must be manifested in three areas:
1. Love for God
2. Love the for the truth
3. Love for the souls of the lost.
A. The word “compassion” means “to suffer with.” The soul-winner sees the lost condition of the person’s soul, knows its bitter end, and suffers with it.
B. Paul was a man of compassion (Acts 17:16).
Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry.
C. Compassion is the quality that moves the soul-winner into action. It is what compelled Paul to speak atop Mars’ Hill (Acts 17:22-23).
A. In a previous lesson, we noted that Paul prayed for the lost in Israel (Rom. 10:1).
Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
B. Prayer is a powerful tool for the soul-winner.
1. Prayer taps into the resources of heaven. Prayer ignites divine power that can assist in the work.
2. God can help the soul-winner in many ways.
b. Doors of opportunity
c. Removal of obstacles
A. Soul-winning is going to cost us something. It will cost us at least some precious time. This is something that all of us seem to have too little of.
B. One of the requirements, however, of following Christ involves self-denial (Luke 9:23).
And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
A. It is impossible for a person to teach what he does not know.
B. The apostle Peter exhorts Christians to grow in knowledge (II Pet. 3:18).
But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.
C. There are several areas of knowledge that the soul-winner must possess.
1. Knowledge of truth
2. Knowledge of false, man-made doctrines
3. Knowledge of how to teach the gospel by means of a method
A. Ephesians 5:15
See that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise.
B. One definition of the word circumspectly is “to look around on all hands” (Clarke, e-sword).
1. The soul-winner will look around on every side for opportunities to teach others the gospel.
2. One of the best places to find a study is at the worship services, especially visitors who come from our area.
3. Others: neighbors, co-workers, family, contacts from the community.
C. You might begin by handing out calendars, tracts, or inviting individuals to attend services with you.
A. Urgent means “requiring immediate action or attention.”
B. In Acts 16:19, Paul saw as has been referred to as the “Macedonian Vision.”
And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us.
1. In the next verse, we see the response to the vision (Acts 16:10).
And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavored to go into Macedonia, assured-ly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them.
2. We are not operating on a vision. We are operating by means of a divine command, “Go ye” (Mark 16:15). A good soul-winner will see the urgency of going.
A. The word “patient” means “having the ability to endure.”
B. II Timothy 2:24
And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, pa-tient.
1. Patient with the student
2. Patient in the midst of persecution
3. Patient when seeking studies
A. Soul-winning is not something one should tire at doing. We need to make it a daily part of our Christian life.
B. Galatians 6:9
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
A. The life of the messenger needs to conform to the message he is teaching.
B. Sin in the life of the messenger will turn individuals away from the message.
1. The lives of the Jews were not consistent with their doctrine. Thus, the name of God was blasphemed among the Gentiles because of them (Rom. 2:24).
2. Jesus issues a warning to us about causing others to stumble (Matt. 18:6).
But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
A. Proverbs 11:30
The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.
B. Let’s become wise individuals and seek to win souls to Christ. When we do, we also become like Jesus Christ (Luke 19:10).
For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.