OceanSide church of Christ
|Previous||Return to Sermons||Next|
Listening to the Heart of Jesus and Gaining Perspective
Oceanside, Atlantic Beach, 6-1-2014
a) Anytime people in the world think about the genuine Jesus, it’s a good thing. Hands down . . . .without a doubt, He will always be the greatest gift that ever happened to this world; He is the world’s greatest treasure. . .
b) In fact, once you find him, learn him, know him, love him . . . you realize all other gifts and treasure s. . . take a distance back seat . . .. He is Christ, the Messiah, the Lamb, the Lion, . . . the alpha, Omega, He is JESUS.
c) Today’s sermon comes from John 17. . . a portion of scripture that is very heartfelt, very moving. . .like so many other portions of scripture. This evening the lesson is entitled listening to the heart of Jesus and getting perspective
d) Our text is John 17.
i) . . . a portion of Scripture often called the high priestly prayer
(1) In this chapter we see the heart of God pulsating and so many turn . . .
(2) You see . . . we learn about God and Christ through listening to his heart in prayer . . .
(3) What is on his mind as time passes and the cross looms closer for him. . .
(4) You see the love of the savior . . . pulsating off the pages.
e) Think with me about prayer for just a moment. . . . what a person prays for, tells you a lot about their heart. . . .Consider the life of Jesus
i) At his baptism - Jesus is praying
ii) Before Jesus chooses the 12 – Jesus is praying all night
iii) At the transfiguration – Jesus went up to pray
iv) At the institution of the Lord’s Supper – Jesus is praying
v) Here in John 17 – Jesus is praying
vi) Garden of Gethsemane Jesus is praying
f) POINT: We can learn about the heart of Jesus from carefully examining his prayer life.
g) On this day, (if scholars are right) this high priestly prayer was one of at least 5 prayers that Jesus prayed. . . For these few moments . . . we enter Christ’s life. . . we see him pour out his heart to his Father. . . we hear those words entering the throne room of a compassionate Father. . .who knows that in a few moments . .. His son, His only Son will be nailed to a cruel cross. . .
h) This evening, Consider the Heart of The Christ
a) The Prelude to prayer rests in these verses:
i) John 16:16 16 "A little while, and you will see me no longer; and again a little while, and you will see me."
(1) A reference to his resurrection
ii) John 16:33 33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."
3) Text - John 17:1-26 ESV John 17:1 When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, "Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you,
2 since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. 3 And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. 4 I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed. 6 "I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. 7 Now they know that everything that you have given me is from you. 8 For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. 9 I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours. 10 All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 15 I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth. 20 "I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me. 24 Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. 25 O righteous Father, even though the world does not know you, I know you, and these know that you have sent me. 26 I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them."
a) Lesson One Listening to Jesus — Jesus’s Heart Always Had Glory in Proper Perspective
i) John 17:1 ESV John 17:1 When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, "Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you,
ii) John 17:4-5 4 I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.
(1) Jesus FORFEITED glory . . . . so that we could have glory where he is, with him (cf. John 7:39, 8:54, 12:16, 23).
(a) The Son glorified the Father “I glorified you on earth”
(2) The father glorifying the son .. . how? Abiding with Christ through the cross, in the resurrection, and in the ascension! The Son glorified by his church (all mine are yours and yours are mine)
iii) John 17:10 10 All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them.
(1) Watch what he’s saying. . .he forfeited glory? Yes. . .but he is glorified not only in heaven but in them!
(2) The church glorifying the son!
(3) Pause and think about this for a moment. . .Jesus heart could say Father glorify me (speaking of his sacrificial death)
(4) But also the heart of Christ could say “I am glorified in them”. . . what does that mean . . . . here it means to have splendid greatness, to clothe in splendor, to glorify [bdag] . . Christ is magnified, given splendor. . . exalted in greatness . . . by the Father. . . but wait . . . a minute. . . Christ is lifted up by you and even me . . .
iv) John 17:22 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one,
(1) What’s he saying? He’s praying for unity . . knowing that ultimately there is no unity between heaven and the world. . .he pivots to the peace, tranquility and rest between heaven and God’s people.
v) Application – Let’s put these images in proper perspective
(1) Jesus forfeited glory . . . Jesus was glorified. . .Humanity was glorified
vi) As God’s people we have to get glory in the right place in life. . . .
(1) Romans 3:23 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
(a) We forfeit glory . . .that caused Jesus to be glorified . .. (to die) . . why? So humanity coule be glorified
(2) Romans 1:23 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.
(a) Jesus forfeited glory. . . . why? Human’s exchange glory! . .. Heaven’s solution .. .Jesus is glorified. . .
(b) Sometimes glory get’s displaced, God’s glory is replaced. . . we fall short of all the splendor and majesty of heaven
(c) We can exchange glory . . if we give God’s glory to another. . .we hurt God
(3) John 5:44 44 How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?
(a) Jesus forfeited glory . . . you will receive glory from one another, but not God. . . . Heaven’s answer: seek the glory that only comes from God!
(4) John 12:42-43 42 Nevertheless, many even of the authorities believed in him, but for fear of the Pharisees they did not confess it, so that they would not be put out of the synagogue; 43 for they loved the glory that comes from man more than the glory that comes from God.
(a) Jesus forfeited glory . . . but Pharisees, you love the glory of men, greater than the glory of God . .. similar to 5:44
(5) Look within Jesus’s heart friends! It pulsates from glory . .. glory forfeited .. . to glory restored. .. .
(6) If we fall short of glory, exchange glory, receive not God’s glory, love the glory of men . . .
(7) We’re getting very near to the throne of God. . . what’s Sacred to God. . . His Son and his creation
(8) The price was immeasurable— let’s get glory right!
b) Lesson Two – Listening to Christ’s Heart — Giving, Sacrifice and Submission to the Father Was In Proper Perspective
i) Now consider with me all the connections between “give” and “Father”
(1) Vs. 1 “Father, glorify me . . .”
(a) Vs. 2 You’ve given me authority over all flesh. . . you’re letting me give eternal life to all
(b) Submission to the Father – Sacrifice for humanity
(2) Father, you gave me a work to do . .. and I have accomplished it (Vs 4)
(a) Vs. 5 “And now glorify me in your own presence”
(b) Vs. 4 Sacrifice. . . Vs. 5 Sacrifice . . and exaltation
(3) Sacrifice - Vs. 6 You’ve given me people of out this world (vs. 6) . ..not the world (vs 9), but those you gave me . . .
(4) Sacrifice that Empowers Vs. 8 – John 17:8 8 For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me.
(5) Vs. 11 . . Holy Father, I have given them your name . . Vs. 12, I have kept them in your name. . .
(6) Vs. 22. .. Father, I have given them your glory,
(7) Vs. 24 .. .”Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be where I am, to see my glory”
(8) Vs. 25 “O Righteous Father, even though the world does not know you, and these know that you sent me”
(9) Summary . . . .6 times – Father (Holy, Righteous) . . ..petitioning God, intimacy with the Father, . .. heart heart pulsating with giving, sacrifice, thanksgiving, petitions, greatfulness. . . .
(10) What’s the message? Love . . . and longing ..and Joy. . are wrapped up in the World’s greatest gift!
(a) Vs. 26 ”I made known to them your name and will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.”
(b) RICHNESS in giving, Sacrifice and submission .
c) Lesson Three — in the Darkest Hour — When hearts are the heaviest – Perspective on Unity with God and The Hope of Heaven Mean Everything!
i) Watch the Darkest Hour
(1) Matthew 26:37-45 37 And taking with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38 Then he said to them, "My soul is very sorrowful, even to death; remain here, and watch with me." 39 And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, [first time] "My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will." 40 And he came to the disciples and found them sleeping. And he said to Peter, "So, could you not watch with me one hour? 41 Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." 42 Again, for the second time, he went away and prayed, "My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done." 43 And again he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. 44 So, leaving them again, he went away and prayed for the third time, saying the same words again. 45 Then he came to the disciples and said to them, "Sleep and take your rest later on. See, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.
(2) Christ’s soul is deeply troubled. . . his heart is as heavy as ever. . . his tears are like drops of blood. . .and he’s begging the Father. . . Father please . . .please Father . ..somehow someway. . . . not your son, your only begotten son
(3) When hearts are the heaviest – Unity with God and Thoughts of Heaven Bring Peace
(a) John 17:22-23 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, [Unity] 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, [Unity] so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.
(b) John 17:24 24 Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
(c) John 17:26 26 I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them."
i) What about our hearts this evening?
(1) We’ve listen to the Lord pour out himself in the moments before his crucifixtion. . . your soul and my soul he lifted up to the Father!
ii) There’s a challenge for us this evening:
(1) First. . . our perspective on Glory must be right .. . God challenges us . . . will you get glory right?. . . .Christ’s life was about others first . . .putting the Father’s will above his. . . loving people so much, wanting them to be saved so much . . that he would lay down his life. . . His glory was in perspective. . .
(a) Let’s get glory about the Father right.
(b) Let’s get glory about the Son right!
(c) Let’s get glory about his church right!
(d) Let’s get the glory of all humanity right!
(2) Second . . . Let Father. . give . . .through you
(a) Sacrifice for the word of God
(b) For Christ’s work
(c) For the Saved
(d) For his glory
(e) For Heaven
(3) Third . . . Christ’s give us an example. . . a method to adapt in our darkest hour . . .what is it? Keep perspective on Unity with God/Christ and the hope of Heaven— these mean everything when life is the heaviest. . ..
iii) Are you in Christ?
(1) Believe, have faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God
(4) Be Baptized. .
 See Luke 11:2 in ESV study Bible for many references of Jesus’s praying