OceanSide church of Christ
|Previous||Return to Sermons||Next|
For What Will You Be Remembered?
by: Dalton Gilreath
a. What comes to mind when you think of Neil Armstrong?
i. Is it his time in the Navy?
ii. Is it his time as an eagle scout?
iii. The fact that he was the first man to step on the moon?
1. This is what he will always be remember for
b. What about Mike Tyson?
i. Do you think of his junior Olympic gold medal?
ii. Do you think of his record for being the youngest heavyweight champion?
iii. Do you think of his bout with Evander Holyfield when he bit off part of his ear?
1. This is what he will always be remembered for
2. He did good things but this was his most memorable moment
c. For what will you be remembered?
i. Lesson Text: Matthew 26:3-16
II. Some will be remembered for their opposition
a. The Jewish leaders opposed Jesus
i. We sometimes oppose one another
ii. The Bible calls it contention
1. Proverbs 13:10 says contention comes from pride
2. Proverbs 17:14 says contention is like a crack in a dam
a. If not fixed it will be devastating
3. Proverbs 22:10 says to cast out the scorner and it will cease
b. Don’t be remembered for being that brother/sister who sowed discord
III. Some will be remembered for their hospitality
a. Simon the leper had many disciples over for a meal
i. Hospitality is not just a requirement of elders (1 Peter 4:8-9, Rom 12:13)
ii. Hospitality to should be given to all not just the “upper class” (Luke 14:12-14)
IV. Some will be remembered for their love
a. The woman dumped a valuable ointment on Christ’s head
i. This was a labor of love (1 Thes 1:3)
ii. Love is shown in two primary ways:
1. Service (Heb 6:10)
a. She served our Lord by washing His feet with her hair (John 12:3)
2. Sacrifice (Eph 5:2)
a. The ointment was three hundred pence in value
b. This was nearly a year’s wages
V. Some will be remembered for their complaints
a. The disciples were filled with indignation and complained
i. The Israelites complained often
1. There were condemned for it (1 Cor 10:10-11)
2. They serve as an example of what not to do
ii. Remember they stress it caused Moses?
1. Complaints stress our leadership today
iii. Jude 1:16 mentions murmurers motivations being selfish
1. They complain to get gain for themselves
2. They flatter those who might give something in return
iv. Phil 2:14 says to do all things without complaining
1. We certainly don’t won’t to be remembered as a complainer
VI. Some will be remembered for their defense
a. Jesus gave a defense for this woman
i. Do we stand up and make a defense for Christ?
1. If not, He won’t for us on judgment day (Luke 9:26)
ii. We must also defense His word (1 Peter 3:15)
iii. If we do not stand as His defense “attorney” who will?
VII. Some will be remembered for their betrayal
a. Judas betrayed our Lord for 30 pieces of silver
i. We betray Christ when we, as Christians, sin against Him
1. Judas fell away due to his sin (Acts 1:25)
2. We fall away when we sin (James 5:19-20)
ii. Do we want to be remembered as a fallen Christian?
a. For what will you be remembered?