OceanSide church of Christ
|Previous||Return to Sermons||Next|
by: Dalton Gilreath
A. What a blessing to be allowed to call God our Father (John 1:12-13)
i. He loves us so much He gave His only begotten Son so He could adopt us
ii. We can be part of His family
B. You might say the whole Bible could be summed up in the word “relationships”
i. From the beginning God knew man needed a relationship to survive (Gen 2:18)
1. He also knew we needed reconciliation to Christ (Gen 3:15)
2. Reconciliation is to renew a relationship with someone
ii. Consider the greatest commands of Christ (Matt 22:36-40)
1. The first one is our relationship with God
2. The second is our relationship with man
II. Sons of God
A. We are children of God by faith (Gal 3:26)
i. God makes us “justified” or just-as-if-I’d never sinned (Rom 5:1)
1. He calls us something we are not (Rom 4:17)
2. Although we have sin He calls us pure
ii. Being a Christian isn’t biological (Rom 9:4-8)
1. It isn’t about Abraham’s descendants anymore
2. It is about becoming a son of God through Christ (Rom 8:17)
B. There are children everywhere with no home who have been abused and neglected
i. Some parents adopt them into their homes and give them the love they need
ii. We are those children lost in sin being abused by Satan (Eph 2:12, 19)
1. God is willing to take us in and raise us as His own
2. We must choose to allow Him to adopt us
III. What kind of child am I?
A. Good children talk to their Father (Col 1:12-13)
i. We ought to thank God daily for adopting us
ii. What kind of relationship do I have with a person I never talk to?
B. Good children trust their Father (Matt 6:25-34)
i. Good parents provide a secure and safe home for their children
ii. God certainly has done so for us
1. Do we feel safe and comfortable in Christ?
2. Or do we worry and feel anxious instead?
C. Good children consider their Father (1 Peter 5:6-7)
i. When we care deeply for someone we hurt for them
ii. Consider how God feels when we hurt others or ourselves due to our poor choices
iii. We need to consider how we hurt Him when we sin
D. Good children act like their Father (Luke 6:31-38)
i. Jesus says to love your enemies and be like your Father in doing so
ii. Have you ever had someone tell you that you remind them of or act like your father or mother?
1. We need to show God through our actions
2. We must be like Him in our choices and speech
E. Am I a good child of God?