OceanSide church of Christ
The videos displayed by YouTube at the conclusion of this clip may not represent Biblical teaching.
OceanSide does not have any control over the videos suggested.
|Previous||Return to Sermons||Next|
THE SEED IS THE WORD OF GOD (1)
Victor M. Eskew
A. Twice in the New Testament, the Word of God is referred to, or, described as, seed.
1. The Lord’s explanation of the Parable of the Sower (Luke 8:11)
Now the parable is this: the seed is the word of God.
2. I Peter 1:23
Being born again, not of corruptible see, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
B. There are many similarities between physical seed and the spiritual seed of God’s Word. Let’s discuss some of these in a two-part series entitled: “The Seed Is the Word of God.”
I. SEED NEEDS TO BE PURE
A. Article: “How to Insure Seed Quality”
1. “Good seed is pure, from a single variety.”
2. Seeds can contain impurities. We will discuss this in another point.
B. When it comes to the Word of God, all of us should desire the pure seed of the Word of God.
1. Peter mentioned that we are born again by means of “incorruptible” seed (I Pet. 1:23).
2. Two times in the Old Testament, we read about the pure Word of God.
a. Psalm 119:140
Thy word is very pure…
b. Proverbs 30:5
Every word of God is pure…
3. Note: If it is not pure, then it is contaminated.
II. SEED CAN BE CONTAMINATED
A. Seed can be contaminated with impurities such as weed seed, other types of seeds, dirt, stones, and twigs.
1. When it is mixed, the seed has less value.
2. When it is mixed, it is not as productive.
3. Leviticus 19:19
…thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed…
B. The Word of God can be contaminated also.
1. Human opinions
2. The doctrines of man
3. Post-modern thinking (i.e., truth is relative, no judging)
4. The decisions of councils and synods
C. The Bible warns against mixing truth and error.
1. Proverbs 30:6
Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.
2. Galatians 1:6-9
I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accured. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
3. Revelation 22:18
For I testify unto every man that heareth the word of the prophesy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book.
D. Since God has revealed the gospel of Christ to man hundreds of contaminates have been added to it by man.
1. The doctrines concerning Mary (Immaculate Conception, Assumption, etc.)
2. Instrumental music in worship
3. The concept of denominationalism
4. Additional books of so-called “revelation”
5. Woman participating in leadership roles
E. We need to be good seed inspectors (Acts 17:11).
These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether these things were so.
III. SEED CONTAINS LIFE
A. A small, tiny seed contains with it the germ of life.
1. Life is that which is animated.
2. Life is that which is productive.
3. Life is that which is flourishing.
4. Life involves growth, possibilities, and hope.
B. The Word of God contains life within.
1. John 6:63
It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the word that I speak unto you, they are spirit and they are life.
2. Hebrews 4:12
The word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword…
3. I Peter 1:23b
…by the word of God which liveth, and abideth for ever.
C. The life that is found in the Word of God works in at least three ways.
1. It gives life to those who are spiritually dead.
a. Those who are in sin are dead.
1) The prodigal son (Luke 15:24)
For this my son was dead…
2) The Ephesians and Colossians were at one time dead in their sins (Eph. 2:1; Col. 2:13).
And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins.
3) Young widows involved in a carnal lifestyle (I Tim. 5:6)
But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.
b. Obedience to the Word of God causes one to be brought out of spiritual death and into spiritual life (Rom. 1:16).
2. The Word of God enables one to live a life full of animation and purpose here on earth (Ps. 119:105; I Thess. 2:13).
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
3. The Word of God also enables one to have spiritual life in the hereafter (Acts 20:32).
And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.
IV. SEED IS ESSENTIAL FOR A HARVEST
A. This is common sense, especially to those who have farmed or grown gardens.
1. If there are no seeds, there is no harvest.
2. Every farmer either saves seed from this year’s harvest, or he buys seed next year in order to have a harvest this year.
B. God understood the fact that seed is necessary for a harvest, and, therefore, left us His Word.
C. A promise that we have from God is that the seed will always be available to us.
1. Matthew 24:35
Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
2. I Peter 1:23
…by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
3. I Peter 1:25
But the word of the Lord endureth forever.
V. SEED MUST BE SOWN TO PRODUCE
A. Seed will not produce as long as it is stored away. In order for it to produce, it must be sown.
1. Sowing seed subjects it to forces that cause germination: water, oxygen, the right temperature, light and darkness.
2. Jesus begins the Parable of the Sower with these words: A sower went out to sow his seed (Luke 8:5).
3. Psalm 126:5-6
They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.
B. The Word of God must be sown if it is going to produce.
1. In Mark 16:15, Jesus told His disciples to sow the seed.
And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel.
2. Here the church has “head knowledge” and “heart knowledge”, but does not have honest application and hot practice.
a. Mentally, we are aware that the seed must be sown.
b. Physically, we are not sowing very much seed.
1) Do not trust the power of God’s Word
2) Fear of the soils
3) Ignorance of God’s Word
6) Expect others to do the work
7) Hoping for other ways to produce a harvest (entertainment, programs, seminars)
3. In Acts, the seed was sown.
1. “And the word of God increased…” (Acts 6:7)
2. “But the word of God grew and multiplied” (Acts 12:24).
3. “So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed” (Acts 19:20).
A. One of the proofs of the existence of God is the likenesses exist between the physical world and the spiritual world.
B. The spiritual seed of God’s Word can be likened unto physical seed.
C. In this lesson, we have seen five likenesses.
1. Seed needs to be pure.
2. Seed can be contaminated.
3. Seed contains life.
4. Seed is essential to a harvest.
5. Seed has to be sown to produce.