OceanSide church of Christ
The videos displayed by YouTube at the conclusion of this clip may not represent Biblical teaching.
OceanSide does not have any control over the videos suggested.
|Previous||Return to Sermons||Next|
I AM RESOLVED…
To Give As God Gives
Victor M. Eskew
A. A resolution is a choice turned into a commitment followed by activity that attains a goal.
B. Resolutions are important:
1. They keep us moving forward.
2. They enable us to overcome obstacles.
3. They allow us to reach goals.
C. Our theme for this year at OceanSide is: “I Am Resolved.”
1. We have been preaching on this subject once each month.
2. This morning, let’s consider the topic: “I Am Resolved to Give as God Gives.”
I. THE NEED FOR AN EXAMPLE
A. God in His wisdom knew that man needs more than just commands and principles to guide him in his Christian living.
B. He has provided many examples in the Bible that can be followed, even in the realm of giving.
1. The woman who broke the box of ointment of spikenard (Mark 14:3)
2. The poor widow who cast to mites into the treasury (Mark 12:41-44).
3. The Macedonian churches that gave in times of trial and poverty (II Cor. 8:1-5).
C. We need to select an example to follow in our giving. We need to make that person or persons our standard.
II. GOD IS SUPPOSED TO BE OUR STANDARD
A. Several passages of Scripture exhort us to be like God.
1. Matthew 5:44-45
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; that ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and the unjust.
2. Matthew 5:48
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
3. Ephesians 5:1
Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children.
4. I Peter 1:15-16
But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; because it is written, Be ye holy, for I am holy.
B. Since God is our Father, why don’t we use Him as our standard in giving?
III. GOD’S EXAMPLE IN GIVING
A. God takes pleasure in giving.
1. Matthew 7:11
If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him.
a. As a parent, we delight in giving good things to our children.
1) We hear of something they would like to have and we delight in getting it for them.
2) It could be something as small as a cup of coffee or as large as a nice trip.
b. If we take pleasure in getting things for our children, how much more does God take pleasure in giving good things to His children?
2. Psalm 35:27b
…Let the Lord be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.
B. God is never stingy.
1. Two verses:
a. James 1:5
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally and upbraideth not: and it shall be given him.
b. I Timothy 6:17
Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy.
a. The children of Israel thirsted in the wilderness. On two occasions, God brought them water out of a rock to quench their thirst.
b. Have you ever thought about the amount of water needed to satisfy the thirst of a million or more people plus all of their flocks?
c. Two passages:
1) Numbers 20:11
And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts also.
a) Strong (7227): abundant :- exceedingly, full, much, plenteous
b) BDB: much, many, great, exceedingly
2) Psalm 78:16
He brought streams also out of the rock, and caused waters to run down like rivers.
C. God gives what is good.
1. Psalm 85:12 (See also James 1:17)
Yea, the Lord shall give that which is good, and our land shall yield her increase.
2. NOTE: God does not always give us what we want. What we want may not be good for us. But, when He gives, He gives what is good.
3. What are some of the good things He has given us?
b. Food and drink
d. Children and grandchildren
e. Talents and abilities
D. God gives in many different ways:
1. Encouragement (Job 35:10)
2. Strength (Ps. 29:11)
3. The desires of our heart (Ps. 37:4)
4. Grace and glory (Ps. 84:11)
5. Healing (Phil. 2:27)
6. Forgiveness (Luke 15:22-24)
7. His Son Jesus Christ (John 3:16)
8. Rain and fruitful seasons (Acts 14:17)
9. Abilities (Rom. 12:6-8)
10. Increase (I Cor. 3:7)
11. Victory (I Cor. 15:57)
12. Opportunities (II Cor. 2:12)
13. Peace (II Thess. 3:16)
14. Life to all things (I Tim. 6:13)
15. Crown of righteousness (II Tim. 4:8)
16. Wisdom (James 1:5)
E. God never tires of giving.
1. Two verses:
a. Philippians 4:19
But my God shall supply all your needs according to his riches in glory by Jesus Christ.
b. Hebrews 4:15
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
2. We should rejoice in this aspect of God’s giving.
a. What if He tired of giving rain?
b. What if He tired of hearing and answering prayer?
c. What if He tired of granting us the forgiveness of our sins?
3. God has given since the day he created man and continues to give today. He does not tire in giving. As the old hymn says: “He blesses and blesses again.”
IV. OUR GIVING VERSUS GOD’S GIVING
God’s Giving Our Giving
1. He takes pleasure in giving 1. We give, but complain
2. He is never stingy 2. We hold back in our giving
3. He gives what is good 3. We give the left-overs
4. He gives in many areas 4. We give in one or two ways
5. He never tires in giving 5. We grow weary in giving
A. One referred to God as “The Great Giver.”
1. When we hold Him up as our standard, the bar is set very high.
2. Another noted: “We will never be able to out give God.”
B. Are we willing to resolve to give as God gives? NOTE: A resolution is only effective when it has been genuinely embraced.