OceanSide church of Christ
The videos displayed by YouTube at the conclusion of this clip may not represent Biblical teaching.
OceanSide does not have any control over the videos suggested.
|Previous||Return to Sermons||Next|
IS YOUR HOUSE STILL STANDING?
Sidney Moore, Florida School of Preaching
Guest speaker at OceanSide church of Christ
KEY TEXT: Matthew 7: 24-27
· Over 5 million people were ordered to evacuate the state of Florida to escape the eventual and inevitable impact of Hurricane Irma. Because of what happened the prior week with Hurricane Harvey in Texas, it was nearly impossible for anyone not take the threat serious (90 years). If you are of like mind as I am then you went to the nearest state west, with knowledge that Irma was going to hit Georgia as well. You hit the road as early as you could, you avoided as much traffic as you could, and you praised God that you made it to your destination safely. You were hopefully met with compassion and embraced by loved ones who sympathized with your circumstance (as the days went by). You wanted to know if your family who stayed was doing ok, and maybe you checked on your neighbors and friends, but what you probably wanted to know most was: Is my house still standing? Is it ok? And if it is still standing, Do I have power in my house? Because if I have power in my house then I know the lights are on in my house…
THESIS: If your house is built on the firm foundation you can rest assured.
I. “Everyone” Is Going to Hear Something.
a. Don’t you love it when your children act like they didn’t hear you?
b. Romans 10:17-18 > 2 Tim. 4:1-4 > Gal. 1:6 – (9)10
c. Did you hear what Jesus said about TREASURES?
i. READ – Matthew 6:19-21
d. Did you hear what Jesus said about RICHES?
i. READ – Matthew 6:24
e. Did you hear what Jesus said about WORRY?
i. READ – Matthew 6: 25-33
II. “Everyone” Is Doing Something (Whether they know it or not).
a. DO vs. DO NOT DO
i. 21 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to [save your souls].22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; 24 for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. 25 But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does (James 1:21-25).
ii. What Did Jesus Tell us to Do? [Matt. 28:18-20] [Matt. 25:31-46]
iii. Story - Why Didn’t You Wake Up Your Brother?
iv. Why is this important? [Matt. 7:21-23]
III. Everyone is Being “Likened” to Something (Whether they know it or not)
a. Wise Builder vs. Foolish Builder
b. As human beings blessed with God given talents and abilities, we pride ourselves on our ability to get wealth, sway the masses, and bring about perceived change. (Superstars helping with Harvey victims). I am not saying that they are wrong for doing good, but if we believe that the good that we do apart from obedience to God and His word will justify us in the sight of a just God we are deceiving ourselves. For the Lord says, “The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord, But the prayer of the upright is His delight (Prov. 15:8) and “The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination; How much more when he brings it with wicked intent!”
c. Cain’s Sacrifice was Unacceptable…
d. Saul’s Sacrifice was Unacceptable…
e. We should not attempt to appease the Lord with our own form of righteousness (Phil. 3:2-9)
IV. “Everyone’s” Work is Going to Be Tested.
a. The rains descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house…
i. Job survived his storm because his house was built on the rock…
ii. David survived his storm(s) because his house was built on the rock…
iii. (Ruth) abandoned a land of Pagans and embraced the Land of promise because she wanted to build her house on the rock
iv. Paul was transformed from a mercenary against God to a missionary for God…because his life was built on the rock
v. The rain, floods, and wind will beat on our house. Will it stand or will it fall?
vi. Jesus is the Rock: [1 Corinthians 10:1-5] [Matt. 16:
1 Unless the Lord builds the house,
They labor in vain who build it;
Unless the Lord guards the city,
The watchman stays awake in vain.
2 It is vain for you to rise up early,
To sit up late,
To eat the bread of sorrows;
For so He gives His beloved sleep (Ps. 127:1-2).
1. The Lord wants to give us rest.
2. But like most little children, when it is time to take a nap, they run, they fight, they kick, and they scream because they do not want to take a nap.
3. But every good parent knows that if the child does not get any rest, the child is going to grow more and more restless until they eventually burn themselves out.
4. 28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light” (Matt. 11:28-30).