Beginning June 7th, Sunday worship services and Bible class times have changedLast updated Wed Jun 4, 8:25 AM EDT
Wednesday night Bible classes has resumed at regular time
OceanSide church of Christ
|Previous||Return to Sermons||Next|
Do You Still Have It?
Sidney Moore, Florida School of Preaching
Guest Speaker at OceanSide church of Christ
One of the worst insults an athlete will endure in his career is the accusation “He Doesn’t Have it Anymore.” It is to say that he or she is no longer as “athletically impressive” as they used to be – it is to imply quite simply that they are no longer in their prime. Maybe there was a time when he could out run a horse, out leap a kangaroo, and strong enough to tackle a bear…but not anymore! Now, he can’t even outrun a child, when he jumps, his feet barely leave the ground, and every time he tries to tackle someone he gets cremated in the process! So they say, “He’s washed up!”; “He’s finished”; “He doesn’t have it anymore!”;!” Such is the plight of an athlete. But, I come here with a question: “Do You Still Have It?”
THESIS: You see, being a fan is a spectator’s sport, but life in Christ is anything but that! There are so many negative and ungodly distractions in the world, oftentimes in our homes, and at times in the church that it can quench your fire and cause you to lose focus and forget the mission! So, every now and then we have to check the fire and make sure its still burning.
KEY TEXT: Revelation 2:1-7 (READ)
QUESTION: DO YOU STILL HAVE IT?
· (Major City) Capital of the Roman Province in Asia (Reign of Hadrian)
· Very wealthy Sea Port City
· One of Largest cities in the world – Approximately 250,000 residents
· Idolatrous city – intermingled religion and magic
· “Temple Guardian of the great goddess Diana” (Acts 19:35)
· Temple was known as one of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World
· SO, Do you still have it???
I. IF YOU STILL HAVE IT, IT IS BECAUSE OF CHRIST (v.1-3).
A. Christ Cares about the Church (v1).
i. Eph. 5:25-27 (because He desires His bride to be spotless)
1. w/o spot or wrinkle or any such thing: “holy and without blemish” (27)
2. therefore He is “sanctifies and cleanses” her with this letter
3. That the Church is body of Christ (Eph. 1:22-23)
4. That in this Body, Jew and Gentile, were reconciled to God through the Cross-! (Eph. 2:14-18).
ii. Christ wants His bride spotless, so He is sending this message to sanctify and cleanse her.
B. Christ is in Control of the affairs of the Church (2nd part of v1).
i. Holds 7 Stars in His right hand (Matt. 28:18)
ii. Walks in the midst of the 7 Golden Candlesticks (Eph. 1:22)
iii. Rev. 1:20 Christ explains the meaning of 7 Stars and 7 Golden Candlesticks.
iv. “Tight Grip” John 10:27-29 (Read)
v. He has power over the message, the messenger, and the ones receiving the message!
C. Christ knows what’s going on in the Church (v 2-3).
i. READ (v 2-3) – “I KNOW”…Works, labor, patience, cannot bear those who are evil; have tested those who say they are apostles (they are not); have found them liars; have persevered, have patience, and have labored My name’s sake and have not “become weary”…
1. Understand that the Lord sees and knows; Paul by the Spirit knew…these things should be know surprise…
a. Paul warned the elders of this church in Acts 20:27-31 (READ)
b. Paul instructed Timothy to remain a combat false teaching (1 Tim. 1:3-4)
c. And that’s what the church @ Ephesus did!
d. Christ is commending them
2. Luke 15: Older Brother… So do not become weary in well doing…(Gal. 6:9)
a. My son: “You need to be talking to him…”
II. IF YOU STILL HAVE IT, MAKE SURE YOU USE IT RIGHT (v 4):
A. “Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love.”
i. GOOD TEACHER METHOD!!!
ii. Favorite Restaurant Example
B. READ > Eph. 1:15
i. FAITH IN THE LORD JESUS
ii. LOVE FOR ALL THE SAINTS
iii. Matt. 22:36-40 (First and greatest commandment; 2nd like it).
C. What were they taught about LOVE? READ > Ephesians 5:1-7
i. QUESTIONS??? CARD…
D. It’s hard to do something effectively if you don’t love it.
i. Michael Jordan Retired?
ii. Michael Phelps Retired?
1. But Michael Remember, Repented, and Returned!!!
III. IF YOU STILL HAVE IT, YOU CAN ABSOLUTELY LOSE IT! (v 5):
A. “Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place – unless you repent.”
B. Ephesians 5: 15-21
C. What happens when you don’t??? (Saul – 1 Sam. 13 & 15:22-23)
D. REMEMBER – REPENT - RETURN:
IV. IF YOU STILL HAVE IT, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO PROVE IT (6-7).
A. Matt. 7:21-23
B. All of these miracles and signs were done in Ephesus:
i. Acts 18:24-28 (Paul, Apollos, Aquilla & Priscilla labored there).
ii. Acts 19:1-10 (Rebaptized believers prophesied and spoke in tongues).
iii. Acts 19:11-12 (Handkerchiefs & Aprons; Healed diseases; drove out spirits).
C. With all of this, they still stood in danger of having their light put out!
1. So, do you still have it?
2. Do you still have the faith in the Lord that you once had?
3. Do you still have love for the saints?
4. Have you lost it? > Unless you repent… (Me and Cathleen’s Story)
5. Have you ever had it?
a. MAMA LEFT US!
i. Good News is she returned!
ii. Rev. 3:20