OceanSide church of Christ
|Previous||Return to Sermons||Next|
JUST ONE SOUL…
What Is the Seeker Seeking?
Victor M. Eskew
A. In a previous lesson that revolved around our theme for this year, “Just One Soul,” we studied a subject entitled: “What Are We Looking For?”
1. All the lost need to hear the gospel of Christ.
2. All, however, will not obey the truth.
3. There is a special person who will yield in obedience to God’s Word.
a. We listed the traits of that person.
b. It is that person that we are trying to find.
B. In this lesson, we want to ask: “What Is the Seeker Seeking?”
1. There are people in our world who are lost and who are searching.
2. They are searching for some very specific things.
3. Let’s look at some of the things they are looking for.
I. THEY ARE LOOKING FOR TRUTH
A. These individuals know that truth exists. They have heard the words of Jesus recorded in John 8:32.
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
B. They also know some of the attributes of truth.
1. It does not contradict itself.
2. It does not change.
3. It is understandable.
4. It will confront error.
5. It will stand forever.
C. These individuals just want to hear the Bible proclaimed in its simplicity and in its power.
D. God knew these people are out there. Thus, He instructs us to
1. “Preach the word” (II Tim. 4:2).
2. “…speak thou the things which become sound doctrine” (Tit. 2:1).
3. “speak as the oracles of God” (I Pet. 4:11).
4. “…not to think of men above that which is written…” (I Cor. 4:6).
5. Do not “add unto these things,” and, do not “take away from the words of the book of this prophecy” (Rev. 22:18-19).
II. THEY ARE LOOKING FOR FORGIVENESS
A. There are people in the world who know that the life they are living is evil and vile.
1. Smoking, drinking, partying, drugs
2. Sex and multiple partners, perhaps multiple marriages
3. Rough places and rough people
4. Lying, hatred, anger, violence
5. Hypocrisy, sloth, wastefulness
B. Having experience all of these things,
1. They are tired.
2. They are spent.
3. They are hurting.
4. They are lonely.
5. They feel dirty and worthless.
C. They would love to find forgiveness and relief.
D. God knew some in the world would long for their burdens to be lifted.
1. Of God, the psalmist said: “But there is forgiveness with thee…” (Ps. 130:4).
2. Jesus exhorted people to come to Him to find rest (Matt. 11:28).
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
3. Peter tells us that forgiveness is found in Jesus Christ (Acts 5:31).
Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
III. THEY ARE LOOKING FOR REDEMPTION
A. Many who are lost and who are in the depths of sin realized that they are enslaved by evil. They feel the bondage that Satan has on their lives.
B. They desperately desire to be rescued, to be made free, and to have another master.
C. Fortunately for them, Jesus paid the ransom price and redeemed them from their sins and iniquities.
1. I Timothy 2:6
Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.
2. The price He paid was His precious blood (Eph. 1:7).
In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sin, according to the riches of his grace.
IV. THEY ARE LOOKING FOR TRANSFORMATION
A. They lives of many people have been shattered by sin.
1. Their lives are stained, and they want to be cleansed.
2. Their lives are lived in darkness, and they want to live in the light.
3. Their lives have been wasted, and they want to live with purpose.
B. In essence, they desire transformation.
C. The gospel can do this for them.
1. We have seen that initially, the Lord will cleanse them from their sins (I Pet. 1:22).
2. He will also translate them into the kingdom of Christ (Col. 1:13).
Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of God’s dear Son.
a. This move is essential to transformation.
b. No longer are they part of the world.
1) They live among the rest of the redeemed.
2) Their conversation is now in heaven.
3. In addition to this, they are given a set of instructions, which, if followed, will radically transform their lives every day they live (Rom. 12:2).
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God.
4. The transformation that is supposed to take place involves being molded into the image of Jesus Christ (Rom. 8:28; Phil. 1:21).
V. THEY ARE LOOKING FOR A RELATIONSHIP
A. Many of those who are lost know that they are not in a right relationship with God.
1. Their sins have separated them from their God (Isa. 59:2).
2. They are without Christ and without God in the world (Eph. 2:12).
3. They are “alienated and enemies” of God in their minds by wicked works (Col. 1:21).
B. Their desire, however, is to be right with God. And, not only do they want to be right with him, they desire a relationship with Him.
C. Relationship is determined by obedience.
1. Romans 6:16-18
Know ye not that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey, whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness? But God be thanked that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
2. I John 2:3
And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
3. II John 9
Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
D. One’s obedience
1. Draws him to God
2. Enables God to make His abode with the individual
3. Puts God on his side
4. Gives him constant access to the Father
5. Insures God’s constant approval
VI. THEY ARE SEEKING A PURPOSE IN LIFE
A. So many people in this life have very little purpose while they live a life of sin.
1. They raise a family.
2. They start and grow a business.
3. They work 40-50 hours a week for someone else.
4. They try to keep fit.
5. They spend their weekends having a “good” time.
6. They plan for retirement.
7. They travel a little bit.
8. They spent some time with family and friends.
B. The problem is that their life is not full.
1. Other than satisfying self, there is very little else that is meaningful.
2. Jeremiah 10:23
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.
3. Thus, they seek purpose in life.
C. Purpose is definitely found in Jesus Christ.
1. To develop into a Christ-like person (Gal. 2:20)
2. To serve others (Gal. 5:13)
3. To glorify God in body and spirit (I Cor. 6:19-20)
4. To shine light into the lives of others (Matt. 5:14-16)
5. To bring forth fruit to God (John 15:8)
6. To seek and save the lost (Matt. 28:19-20)
7. To prepare to give an account in the judgment (Rom. 14:12)
VII. THEY ARE SEEKING A REWARDING DESTINY
A. There is a handful of people who have convinced themselves that death and the grave is the ultimate end of man.
B. Most, however, do not believe this.
1. They believe there is some type of afterlife.
2. They believe there is a place of reward and a place of punishment.
3. This is to be expected because God has set eternity in the hearts of men (Eccl. 3:11).
a. The KJV reads: “…he hath set the world in their heart…”
b. The word “world” means: that which is enduring, everlasting, forever, perpetual, continuous, unending
c. The NASV read: “He has also set eternity in their heart…”
C. Jesus is the only way to have a rewarding destiny
1. John 5:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
2. John 11:25
Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live.
A. In the Parable of the Pearl of Great Price, the merchant man was looking for something, the pearl of great price (Matt. 13:45).
B. He knew that it was out there. All he had to do was find it, and he eventually did (Matt. 13:46).
C. My friend, are you looking for something?
D. All of these things can be found only in Jesus Christ.
1. John 1:16
And of his fullness have all we received, and grace for grace.
2. Colossians 2:10
And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power.